Sunday, July 25, 2010

Is this just total crap or do I have something here?

I've been working on my trilogy since January last year. I feel like that story has such potential. I like the premise, I love the characters and I feel like my pacing is good, but sometimes I sit back and wonder if my work is complete crap.

I say this because I am re-writing the first book on the trilogy. You see a few people have read it now and the feedback I have so far is that book 2 and 3 were impossible put down (yay!) and book 1 was okay. I don't need it to be okay, I need it to be fabulous, because no agent or publisher will look twice if I can't make the first book shine.

So, I'm re-writing the first book. I've spent hours on my planning. I stopped working on it for two months so that I could read books on how to improve my style, etc. When I finished my plan I was on a high, I felt like I had something really good. I've just finished writing chapter 19 and I'm wondering...

Maybe I'm taking too long to get into the story, but I need that back ground info. I'm trying to filter it in through dialogue and action, but how good am I making it?

This just goes to show, that I desperately need a few decent critiques from people who know what they're talking about. Thankfully I won one :) So I'll be sending off my manuscript as soon as I'm done.

Do any of you feel that way when you're writing? A sudden burst of self doubt?

It's like a road block, one I must plow through. The thing is, I can do this. I know I can.
I guess sometimes you just need someone else to tell you that too :)

Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment