Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Writing Buddy

I've just been away for a whole weekend with my best friend. It was bliss. We watched movies, talked about all the things our husbands aren't interested in and most importantly we wrote. It was so much fun and it made me realize just how important it is to have one other person that totally gets it.

It was such a joy to be able to blather on about my current manuscript and hash out plot ideas. We are both working our way through a huge pile of books on writing and we spent time sharing what we've learned and incorporating the new lessons into our writing. I managed to finish the planning stage of my latest manuscript while I was away and I'm going to start writing soon. Can't wait!!!

Being able to share this excitement and passion with someone is such a treat.
I hope you all have someone like that in your life too.

As awesome as it is to have a friend to share this with, I think it would be beneficial for us to also belong to a writing group. We find it hard to critique each other. Being objective isn't easy when you're with a friend. Our problem is, we aren't really sure where to start looking.

For those of you who do stumble across this blog - I'd love hear your experiences. How did you find a writing group? What sorts of things do you do? What does belonging to a writing group entail?

Thanks in advance for those of you who do leave a comment.

Hope everyone has a great week.

2 comments:

  1. I'm debating whether or not I should start looking for a writing group. My manuscript is not what I'd call ready yet. Though I'm hoping to get there by the end of the summer.

    I do have a friend I can hash ideas with, and I've got to say, that is invaluable. Unfortunately, she hardly ever has anything bad to say about my writing...so it's hard to find that objectivity.

    I feel your pain.

    Good luck finding a writing group! No idea how it's done but maybe when you figure it out you could do a post? For my future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Congrats on winning the critique from Megan!

    ReplyDelete