Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New Software - super fun!!!

I was chatting to my brother a few weeks ago, who also loves to write and is working on a novel. He mentioned doing a search for creative writing software. I had never heard of that kind of thing. He went on to explain that you can get software that helps you organize your work and help you stay on track with your novel.

Sounded good to me!!

As soon as I got home I started a search of my own. Now my brother is a PC man, where as I fell in love with Macs years ago and cannot be swayed. After some hunting I came across a really cool program called Scrivener. It's designed specifically for Macs and has some wicked features. You can split the screen four ways and have pictures and research showing while typing a scene. It stores away all your files and internet links so you don't have to have a gazillion folders, which is the way I have previously been storing all my work. It has a fun cork board feature that helps with scene planning and story structure. Those are just a few of the many features. Do I sound like a commercial yet? Sorry - I'm just excited. It's like getting a new toy!!

There is a free 30 day trial which I am currently using, but I think I'll get the software at the end of it. I know it's not going to make me a better writer, but it will definitely make me a more organized one. It's just something little to help me in my quest.
If you are a Mac person, I encourage you to check it out. My brother says there is some awesome software for PCs too and he actually managed to download his for free - so there you go. His was called ywriter5.

Happy hunting everybody :)

1 comment:

  1. I often use the writer's program Ywriter. It's free and has so many amazing features, I keep discovreing new ones!

    ReplyDelete