Monday, March 22, 2010

Rejected = Dejected

When it comes to writing I have been surprised by how unfazed I have been by rejection letters. I was feeling relatively invincible, until last week. I don't know what it was about this particular rejection, but it totally bummed me out!
I think the thing that made me feel so dejected was that this agent had asked to see more. My hopes were soaring and then a week later totally crashing when she got back to me. Her comments said my writing just wasn't good enough. Yep - that's it right there - dejection. My writing was not good enough. Talk about feeling stink.
So - my brave friend (who co-authored the book with me) wrote back and very politely asked if she could be more specific. The agent generously replied saying that our writing reflects our inexperience, but if we are willing to learn and put in some effort, we'll most likely get there. She also included a list of books that she thought were gold when it came to writing fiction. We have hunted them down and will be reading for a fair few hours over the coming weeks.
It will be great to learn and grow.
So, even though rejection can sometimes feel like dejection it can also lead to improvement and ultimately acceptance.
In spite of how useless I felt last week, I am not going to give up. I love writing too much to consider that option. In the words of a very wise Regal Blue Tang fish, I am going to "Just keep swimming."

No comments:

Post a Comment