Saturday, February 6, 2010

What to include...

I think it's fair to say that most people live by a certain set of values. How you were raised, what you were taught to believe, what you've chosen for yourself over the years have shaped you into the person you are today.
So my question is, if your writing contradicts your values and beliefs, do you still write it anyway?
My current WIP has a a couple of characters that behave in a way I never would. I have to stay true to who they are, but how do I do that in a way that doesn't make other people think I'm promoting this kind of behavior?
I'm not a huge swearer, just the odd expletive when I hurt myself or am really mad. My WIP antagonist is a complete potty mouth. I'm finding it hard to portray this without including the odd cuss in his scenes. I feel I can't change that attribute in him, that's just who he is!
I'm also not a huge fan of people sleeping together really quickly. I don't like the idea of promoting one night stands. I'm about to write a scene for one of my central protagonists and I just know that he wants to sleep with this girl and totally would if I'd let him. But I really don't want to promote that so I'm thinking I'll make the girl shy away from it - that way my character can still stay true to form.
I'm find this tricky. I really want my characters to be realistic. I want this book to be a tad grittier than other things I've written. It suits the plot. But I also don't want to compromise my beliefs and values.
Does any one else out there ever face this problem? How do you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment