Monday, January 11, 2010

Foolish Notions

I like to think of myself as a humble person, but I am quickly learning that I have been foolishly arrogant when it comes to my writing.
I'm not going to deny that I think I do have a natural bent towards fiction. My brain is constantly buzzing with new story ideas and I can vividly see each scene play out in my head. I have the ability to see a manuscript through to completion and my skin is tough enough to handle some very honest critiquing.
Why then, did I honestly think I could get away with not reading one scrap of information on how to become a better writer. I never said it aloud, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "I know how to write a book." Yeah, sure... but do I know how to write a really good book?
Thankfully I have been won over and am now working my way through some great books on how to make my fiction awesome. I just hope I can execute my new knowledge in a way that makes my work so good the publishers are scrambling to get their hands on it ;o)
The book I'm reading at the moment - recommended to me on Jerry B. Jenkins blog is by Thomas B. Sawyer entitled, "Fiction Writing Demystified. Techniques that Will Make You A More Successful Writer." It's so good!
Also - Scott Eagan is about to start a series of blogs on how to take the new techniques we've learned and use them to our best advantage. Might be worth checking out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment