Monday, January 25, 2010

The dreaded synopsis

I am just preparing to enter a couple of competitions in the UK. The first one is called Chapter One Promotions Novel Competition
It looks pretty cool and the prize is wicked. Five hundred pounds and the chance to work with an editor for two years as you complete the novel. It then gets published.
All you have to send in is your first three chapters and a one page synopsis.
UCH! That's where I come undone... THE SYNOPSIS!!!
I have read so many blogs and sites on how to write a good one and I still feel like I cannot master the skill. Especially trying to put an entire plot into one page! I have been procrastinating big time because I'm a worried I'll do a really bad job.
You'd think a synopsis would be easy right? Just explain what you're books about.
Sure - no problem. But how do I do that in a way that will make the judges, editors, agents - whoever - sit up and think, "Man, this is good!"
I almost find a query easier. At least with a query you can leave the person hanging, hungry for more. With a synopsis you've got to put it all out there, but in a really enticing way.
HELP!
Wish me luck.
I'll let you know how I get on. If anyone out there has any other advice on how to make a synopsis stand out, I am more than happy to receive it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment