Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Staying in touch

I'm sure you all do this already, but I'm going to write about it anyway.
Time only allows me to follow so many blogs, but I have found five that I try to check most days and I am learning so much about writing and the business. There is a wealth of knowledge out there from people who know what they're talking about. It is totally worth making the time to read what they have to say.
Not only am I refining my craft and storing away useful tidbits of information, I am also getting to know these agents and discovering their style. It helps with querying. When I'm choosing who to query next, I take the time to read through their blog. It tells me exactly the kind of query letters they like, the genres they have the best contacts for. It also gives me a really great idea about the kind of person they are and whether they would be a suitable agent.
I know it's tempting to rush onto another agent when you receive that rejection letter, but I think it's worth taking the time to research an agent thoroughly before asking if they want to represent your work.
To the bloggers I regularly follow - thank you. I so appreciate the time you take to write your blogs and give us writers a chance to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment